Tuesday 2 April 2013

Movie News: Could a 'Transformers'-'G.I. Joe' crossover movie happen?

Im a fan of both franchise's but ive just read this & im wondering weather this would be a complete mistake for both Franchise to be in the same film as a cross over film, but read this & judge for your selfs on what you think.


When I was a kid I used to love getting all my toys together and reenacting massive battles with epic story-lines. There’d be Transformers fighting alongside G.I. Joes and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles going up against The Thundercats. And I always had He-Man waiting in the wings, just in case it really started to go crazy. Man, was that fun.
You can imagine my excitement then when G.I. Joe: Retaliation and Transformers producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura talked about the possibility of the two franchises coming together and appearing in the same movie. Both are part of the same Hasbro universe and have also turned up in each others comic books. Could we potentially see Optimus Prime and Roadblock blowing stuff up on the same screen? Talking to Cinema Blend, here’s what Bonaventura had to say:
I don’t know necessarily why, but I just think there’s so much that’s so rich in the mythologies that I don’t think they need to draw from the other. I think, I didn’t rule it out for me and I think those things have somehow for me, sort of in the past, they made me feel like a little bit cynical exercises in just drawing money out of something. It’s not to say you couldn’t do it well, but both these properties have such rich mythologies with so many characters, that you could go a lot of movies before you start running out of ideas of what to do. But it’s not to say, if we found the right… I’d hate to set out to do that, but if I heard a story where we went, ‘Oh my God…,’ I could see a story right now about machination, machination of war and that could lead you sort of intrinsically to a Transformer.
So, he’s telling us there’s a chance?
Combining the Transformers and G.I. Joe mythologies could be a smart financial move as you only have to look at the massive success of The Avengers and the insatiable clamoring for a Justice League movie to see that crossovers can mean big business.
It could help solve one of the (many) criticisms I have towards the Transformers movies. I really disliked the movies’ over-reliance on the human characters to carry the story and it didn’t help that they were also badly written, unsympathetic and relatively soulless. Maybe introducing the Joes to go alongside the Autobots instead could improve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment