Friday 28 September 2012

Gerry Barnaby's film Review: Rock of Ages

Genre: Comedy Drama Musical, contains strong alcoholic drinking & strong language

Cert: 15 cert

Story: Rock of Ages tells the story of small town girl Sherrie and city boy Drew, who meet on the Sunset Strip while pursuing their Hollywood dreams. Their rock 'n' roll romance is told through the heart-pounding hits of Def Leopard, Joan Jett, Journey, Foreigner, Bon Jovi, Night Ranger, REO Speed-wagon, Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Poison, White snake and more

Likes : I love this film because of the classic 80s rock Ballard's , reason being is it was rock at its best in the 80s with passion & its not like the rock music today, to much shouting you cant hear or feel the passion behind the music.Its one of those film you Ive love or hate it just depends on weather your a 80s child & grow up on the rock music back then like me.This film also has a lot of comical humour as well as some amazing Ballard's that sets the tone of the film brilliantly,you get the film of the film. Diego Boneta plays a struggling musician Drew Boley that has stage fright until he meet a beautiful girl Sherrie Christian that show him that the fear is in his mind played by the beautiful Julianne Hough who character comes to Hollywood to make a break & a new life & things don't quiet go to plan. Alec Baldwin plays Dennis Dupree the rock club owner struggling to keep the club open due to a bunch of stuck up people that hate rock an roll,he's partner to the club that supposed to be a bounce which is funny because he dosent kick anyone out Lonny played by Russell Brand. Tom Cruise plays a lead singer of a rock group call arsenal Stacee Jaxx ,he was brilliant in this roll playing the drunk all the time rock star that owns a baboon that seems to be a servant fetching things for him. Mary J. Blige plays a dance club owner that takes Sherrie under her wing when her life fall apart. Bryan Cranston plays the mayor trying to bring down the rock an roll club, Paul Giamatti plays this money hungry music Producer Paul Gill who mangers Stacee Jaxx,he play this kind of corrupted music producer that all he wants to do is make money no matter the cost. Catherine Zeta-Jones plays this once rock an roll girl but now the mayors wife Patricia Whitmore who is hell bend on destroying Stacee Jaxx rock an roll career over something that happen years ago.Along with some fantastic 80s rock Ballard's this film wasn't bad to watch.


Dislike: The only thing i will say here is it depends on what you like because not everyone is going to like this film,it just depends on weather you like 80s rock Ballard's.

Overall : If you in to rock 80s rock Ballard's,love music in a film this is one for you, classic 80s rock Ballard's, good acting & good 80s style film.

Rating: 5 out of 5 for 80s style, 5 out of 10 for storyline.

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Gerry. My rebellious nature as a teenager lead me down the path of 80’s rock and roll, I loved the ballads that made me cry and I think this movie will hit a tender spot. Like every other kid on the block, wanted to be a rock legend, so every film that comes around tends to move me. I’ve been good about not reading too much of the story, so I don’t spoil it for myself, but coworkers of mine from DISH have said this is exactly the type of movie I love. So, I’m excited to check it out. When I get excited about a movie, I’ve been known to run out and buy it, but that has blown up in my face when the movie isn’t very good. I like my peace of mind and I can save money by renting from Blockbuster @Home, then if the Blu-ray is a hit, I’ll buy it and have it in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya some film do that to me as well,ive seen alot of film show good promise & end up being really bad,but this film to be honest was a good film if your into the 80s rock ballards,you wont be desapointed in it.

      Delete